July 31st is Harry Potter’s birthday (happy birthday Harry!), and to celebrate, I thought I’d bake something new. Today I’m taking a stroll down memory lane and going back to Year Two- the Chamber of Secrets year. Remember when Harry, Ron, and Hermione thought Draco was the heir of Slytherin, so they decided to spy on him? Hermione whipped up a stellar sleeping draught and added it to some cupcakes to tempt Crabbe and Goyle. Now I’m not saying that Harry would want to celebrate his birthday by sleeping through it, but maybe he could use one on an unruly party guest (I’m looking at you, George Weasley)… Read on to see Hermione’s sleeping draught cupcake recipe!
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat your oven to 375° and line your cupcake tins.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, salt, and baking powder
- Add the milk and flour in alternating batches and mix everything together until your batter is smooth
- Fill your cupcake tins about 2/3 of the way and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sleeping draught (can substitute 1 tsp lavender extract )
- pinch of salt
- dash of milk
- Cream the butter in your mixer until light and fluffy
- Add the powdered sugar a little bit at a time
- Add the vanilla, sleeping draught (or lavender extract), and salt
- Check the consistency of your frosting and add milk if it’s too thick
Remember that if you’re using the real sleeping draught, don’t taste your frosting! I know it’s tempting to lick your fingers when baking, but you don’t want to fall asleep in your batter bowl! To assemble the cakes, scoop out a section in the middle and fill with your frosting. Then dip the cupcakes into chocolate sprinkles, and you’re done!
The flavor of the frosting is very subtle, so people won’t be immediately suspicious that you’ve drugged them. By the time they start to figure it out, they’ll be well on their way to snooze city!
Are you celebrating Harry Potter’s birthday this year?